Our expert says:
Dog Behaviour Expert
Hi Lee, from what you say, it sounds like your dog has a very high prey-drive. This is difficult to change as the behaviour in itself is self rewarding to the dog. I have put in a link to an article on Chasing behaviour for you to read and I would also suggest the following:
1. Plenty of exercise outside the yard
2. Varied chew toys left at home to entertain the dog
3. Look at taking the dog to classes that cater for its breed. this will take care of the instinct to chase and be done in a proper manner.
4. Have plenty of games of frisbee, balls etc with the dog.
5. Teach the dog the 'leave' cue and an excellent recall for when it does give chase. There are articles on these topics on the site as well. Good Luck and link is http://www.friendsofthedog.co.za/chasing-behaviour-a.html
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal
advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.