Question
Posted by: Zolene | 2006/11/07

Human Growth Hormone deficiency

Dear Dr

I'm 26 years old and am 1.42m tall - I would like to find out where I can get tests done to determine if I might have a growth hormone deficiency.

Could you give me any indication as to how expensive this treatment will be if I need it?

What is the best treatment for this deficiency?

Dear Zolene
Best would be to see an endocrinologist ( see easyinfo.co.za under medical)
Treatment cost and best treatment may depend on what you need and for how long.

1
Posted by: Lizzie | 2006/11/07

Hi, my daughter was diagnosed growth hormone deficient at the age of 12 and spent five years on a drug called Genotropin which she had to inject herself with nightly in order to reach a height considered "normal". The medication was in the region of R4000 per month but we managed to get onto the Johannesburg General Hospital programme (Endocrine Department) as I was a single mother without medical aid at the time. You would need to consult with an Endocrinologist who specialise in hormones but wait for Cyberdoc to advise you as I have a feeling that the hormone supplement only works on a growing child.

Reply to Lizzie