Posted by: Zolene | 2006/11/07

Human Growth Hormone deficiency

Dear Dr

I'm 26 years old and am 1.42m tall - I would like to find out where I can get tests done to determine if I might have a growth hormone deficiency.

Could you give me any indication as to how expensive this treatment will be if I need it?

What is the best treatment for this deficiency?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Dear Zolene
Best would be to see an endocrinologist ( see under medical)
Treatment cost and best treatment may depend on what you need and for how long.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Lizzie | 2006/11/07

Hi, my daughter was diagnosed growth hormone deficient at the age of 12 and spent five years on a drug called Genotropin which she had to inject herself with nightly in order to reach a height considered "normal". The medication was in the region of R4000 per month but we managed to get onto the Johannesburg General Hospital programme (Endocrine Department) as I was a single mother without medical aid at the time. You would need to consult with an Endocrinologist who specialise in hormones but wait for Cyberdoc to advise you as I have a feeling that the hormone supplement only works on a growing child.

Reply to Lizzie

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.