Question
Posted by: Louise | 2003/12/18

Human "foot and mouth disease"

What is the human version of "foot and mouth disease" called and what are the available treatments and long term implications of this virus?

Louise, I think you might be referring to hand, foot and mouth disease. It’s an acute infectious febrile disorder usually caused by coxsackievirus A16 and characterized by a little blisters on the skin and mucous membrane in the mouth and on the palate. The disease is most common among young children and the treatment is symptomatic. If you have any specific questions, please let me know and I’ll do my best to answer them for you. Good luck.