Question
Posted by: Swollen Mum | 2007/11/28

Huge Stomach!

hi there

i have given birth to 2 children over the last 2 1/2 years - one in march 2005 and the second in february 2007! im struggling to get rid of my "preggy" tummy and i still look as if im 6 months pregnant. I dont have time to exercise with 2 small kids to go home to at night and i travel a long way (1 h 30 mins) each way to work and back every day so im exhausted by the time im done at nights with the kids bath/dinner and so on.....

Im devastated at the amount of people who have been asking me when my next baby is due! I have tried to diet and cut out most of my carbs but ive only managed to lose 1.5kgs over a month and my stomach still looks HUGE!

Does anyone have advice a) on how to handle those rude people who ask me if im pregnant again or b) the quickest easiest way to try get my tummy muscles to go back to normal again?

Your response would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Swollen Mum

Dear Swollen Mom
Firstly congratulations on the birth of your 2 children and the fact that you are working and still looking after the little ones - that takes some doing. To shut up the rude people you need to think of a total put down for them - something like "Sure I'm about to give birth again - it's going to be in the Guinness Book of Records - I have a baby every6 months for the fun of it!" or "Is there something bothering you? If so, don't you think you should concentrate on (mention something that's wrong with the person in question) and leave me to live my life my way" I am so mad that these insensitive people are making you feel bad about your looks. Now about the tummy and losing weight. Cutting out carbs is not a good idea and you have seen that it is not working for you, so please rather try a more balanced approach - click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a balanced slimming diet). Then if possible try to do some muscle tightening exercises at night (I know you are exhausted, but this is for you) like sit-ups. Start slowly doing about 20 situps and then increase how many you do each day. If you stick to the diet you should lose 1 kg per week and the tummy tightening exercises can make a big difference. If after 1 month your tummy is still bulging, then you may need a more drastic approach such as a tummy tuck which you would need to discuss with a plastic surgeon.
Hang in there and give those stupid, rude people something to think about
But enjoy the children, they are worth it.

6
Posted by: Debs | 2007/11/30

My baby is 5 months old and i have the same problem... so I have joined Weighless and I KNOW if i stick to it, it wil work. You should try it. Huge variety of foods!

Reply to Debs
Posted by: Rose | 2007/11/29

Tell them no, I am not pregnant, but at least I can do something about my stomach!

Reply to Rose
Posted by: Swollen Mum | 2007/11/29

Thanks ladies i appreciate the responses and i feel a little bt better to know its not just me! I just wish i could come up with some great sarcastic comment to put those rude people in their place who ask me when my baby is due! I read a sign that said you should never ask a woman if she is pregnant under any condition unless you see an actual baby coming out of her - i wish people had a bit more tact! It is very hurtful! Im goign to try skipping that sounds like fun and i used to love it when i was a kid. I just hope i dont give myself a heart attack now :)

Reply to Swollen Mum
Posted by: Sue | 2007/11/29

The hard reality is that exercise is probably the only thing that will help ... sure , together with a balanced diet, but the diet alone isn't going to do much to help you shape-up again. Try skipping rope instead of jumping on a trampoline. Moderate resistance training together with "cardio" (for e.g. walking, cycling, running etc.)

Reply to Sue
Posted by: libby | 2007/11/28

I have the same problem with my tummy ,and would like some advised.

Reply to libby
Posted by: Zetty | 2007/11/28

I am so happy that I am not the only one. Mine was born in 2004 and 2006 and I am still struggling with this huge tummy. If I see people looking at my tummy I just smile and say "no i am not pregnant again." don't let it bother you. I laugh it off. We have a trampoline at home for the children and between cooking and looking after children I jump for about 5 - 10 min. Helps a little bit. I have started to cut out all rice, pasta, bread and only eat vegatables, white meat and fruits. Good Luck.

Reply to Zetty