Question
Posted by: Brenda | 2003/02/18

Huge and just joined a gym for the first time....

I am about 25 kg overweight and have joined a gym for the first time. My problem is that I am at a complete and utter loss. I have no idea where to begin, what to do and not do. I was disgusted to see that the Virgin Active has exactly one beginner's class in a whole week's worth of classes. So that's no help. I am extremely unfit and need a bit of guidance where to begin.

Hi Brenda

I suggest you log onto www.health24.co.za and join the free gym-based interactive exercise programme called "War ON Wobbles". There you will get all the info you need as well as weekly monitoring.

This will give you some idea of what machines to use and how to do the exercises - all are illustrated. However, I still recommend you ask one of the floor supervisor's to help take you through each of the machines (this is what they are there for!!), to make sure that you are doing the exercises correctly - otherwise you might injure yourself.

Even though you are new, don't feel intimidated - you have done the right thing in deciding to exercise - now they must help you at the gym.

Good luck!

1
Posted by: Louise | 2003/02/19

Hello Brenda, if this is any help for you... phone the gym and make an appointment with a Fitness Consultant. I was once in your shoes and have lost 10kg only by excercising. The Consultant helped me and put me on a programme to lose weight and tone at the same time. It's hard work but the results are priceless! Good Luck!

Reply to Louise