Question
Posted by: concerned wife | 2004/10/20

Hubby wants to have lipo on love-handles....desired weight?

Hello Doctor,
My husband is currently on a diet, and he wants to have lipo to remove his love handles when he's reached his goal weight (even when he was very skinny, the love handles were there).
What I want to know is:
1) How long (if at all) does he have to be at this goal weight before a surgeon will perform lipo?
2) How do I go about contacting a reputable plastic surgeon with a good track record?
3) what are the risks involved in such an op?
Thanks ever so much, I eagerly await your reply.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Concerned Wife,

How wonderful that you are supporting your husband in this.

Question 1
It depends on how good he is or will be at retaining his weight. If you do liposuction, you remove some of the fat cells, but not all. Therefore, should he pick up weight again, the liposuction would not really have been of value.

Question 2
I usually suggest that you ask around and speak to friends and ask them. Other options are asking a doctor whom you trust. You can also look for practitioners on the website www.plasticsurgeons.co.za This is the website of the Association for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons in Southern Africa.

Question 3
All surgery carries risk, which include excessive blood loss, swelling, infection. However, if performed by a qualified and registered plastic surgeon, liposuction is not a dangerous procedure, as it was in the past. The technique used today is totally different from the one used in the past. You might have heard of cases where patients died due to excessive blood loss. This was because the previous techniques removed not only fat cells, but also huge amounts of blood. That does not happen today at all anymore, and what is removed in mostly fat and almost no blood.