Question
Posted by: Wife | 2004/11/11

Hubby has constant back ache

my hubby (28 years old) wakes up in the morning with a terrible pain under his left shoulder blade / wing. i've tried massaging it, used deep-heat and Arinca oil and deep heat patches but nothing seems to work. our bed is only 2 years old - and my back is mostly fine. we works at a desk in front of the computer from home. his BMI is 26 and he doesn't gym.
what on earth could this be? and how can i treat it? he is always in pain and i can't stand to see him like that!!

It could be a number of things, and trying to guess is pretty impossible and reckless too, because the treatment is based on the diagnosis and I would hate to guess wrong and then mistreat. So I think that what he has to do is see a physio who can then assess what might be causing it. It may be muscular, in which case it could be treated with a little supervised rehab and some home exercises. It may also be something related to the spine/vertebral column, and maybe he will need to see a chiropractor. What you really need to do is have him see someone for it - I know that many physios prefer that you see a doctor, get referred, and then they take it from there. That is the best and safest option.

GOod luck