Question
Posted by: Lady | 2007/05/05

Hubby addicted to gaming

My husband plays online gaming every night. I wouldn't mind if it was every other night but he ignored this suggestion. After supper he just gets up and go to the study to play and I don't see him after that. Tonight he played till 3 in the morning. This means he can't get up the next day. Whenever we hv guests over or go out, he can't keep his eyes open after 11! But with gaming he can go on forever. He's turning 37 this year and we've got a baby on the way. Am I overreacting by being irritated by this?

Yet again I observe how rare it is for people who post here asking whether they are over-reacting to a situation, to be actually over-reacting. And neither are you. This is an over-indulgence by your husband, as annoying and potentially damaging as over-indulging in alcohol or other chemicals. Presumably, too, he is actually wagering money on this gaming, and thus wasting the family resources while there's a baby due.
What happens when you try to discuss this calmly with him ? Its a waste of time and resources, and must be having a negative impact on his work performance, too. Does he really not see any problem at all ? If he does recognize at least a potential problem, CBT style counselling could help to stop this maladaptive pattern and solve the problem

3
Posted by: Polly | 2007/05/07

Cindy she never said that he gambles online, just "gaming". There is a difference you know. He doesn't necesserily have to be on the gambling sites, there are a kazillion other gaming sites, totally different things. It is however a huge problem and as addictive as drugs/booze... Maybe disconnect the internet for a few months? He needs to realize what his behaviour is doing to you and how destructive it is to your relationship. Good Luck.

Reply to Polly
Posted by: Cindy | 2007/05/07

Wake up-the internet may be free, but the gambling(gaming, as you call it) is definitely not free, you pay by credit card. If you don't open your eyes, you're going to land up with a baby, and huge financial problems. I had the same problem in my marriage-it's addiction to gambling, and I can tell you that they cannot change, they will lie cheat and steal to continue-and in the end, you are the ultimate loser.

Reply to Cindy
Posted by: Lady | 2007/05/05

Well actually we've got free internet so it's not costing us a cent. IT's more about the time he spends than anythig else thats bugging me.

Reply to Lady