Posted by: HRT Petrified Lady | 2009/01/27

HRT or Not????

Dear Sir/ Madam

I would like to turn to you for assistance.

I am a 50-year old lady and only have one son. I used to live with my parents until recently. I am now living on my own (for 8months now). This has required of me to become more active and I have lost some weight and people have commented on how good I look.

I went to my GP last week for a check up. Blood tests were done &  it was found that I am menopausal &  that I might have to go onto Hormone Replacement Therapy. But before this option was to be considered, the GP recommended that I needed undergo a Bone Density Test first.

I underwent the Bone Density Test earlier today &  the Radiologist advised that there are some areas in the lower spine &  the one hip where the bone density is low. The Radiotherepist also indicated that it is likely that the GP will recommend that I will have to go onto Hormone Replacement Therapy.

I am not happy about going onto HRT, since I' ve heard about the increased risk of Heart Attacks, Strokes, Uterine Cancer, Breast Cancer, DVT, Blood Clots, etc. when using the conventional medication available today.

Are there any alternatives (e.g. natural products, food, etc) available that one can use, take or other methods that can be used instead of going onto HRT?

How can I prevent the bone density from getting any worse? since I have been taking a Calcium supplement for years.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageGynaeDoc

You are not doing anything wrong. Calcium supplements help a little, but not enough to prevent the menopausal drop in bone density. Natural supplements sometimes help with hot flushes, etc, but do not improve bone density. Your options are HRT, Fosamax ( a drug used for this purpose which also has side effects) or take the risks associated with the low bone density. HRT has been associated with an increase in breast cancer, but not really with the other conditions you mention unless you have undelying heart/blood pressure problems.

Best wishes

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.