Question
Posted by: Lyndz | 2004/01/07

HRT and Weight gain

I am 43, have had hysterectomy (but still have my ovaries) and am on hrt (both estrogen and progesterone) - I feel a whole lot better but have found that I have picked up weight around the stomache, hips and thighs - I am told this is to be expected????? How does one get around this - and is hrt really as bad as all the hype maintains. Am I going the right route?

Lyndz, there is no need to take oestrogen and progesterone if you have had a hysterectomy – oestrogen only will suffice. Taking oestrogen only will significantly decrease your chance of developing side effects (including breast cancer) and from this side of he screen it sounds like you should see a different gynae too. Good luck.