Posted by: Ruby | 2008/10/21

HR is this normal?

Hello Dr Bets,
I am still doing really well. My HR did go a bit fast today again (170), but I am not concerned cause it was only for about 5-10 minutes and was triggered by a shower again. I just wanted to know something. If I lie down my HR is 62-71, if I sit my HR is 80-90 and when I stand my HR is 100-120. Is this normal? Its not the first time that I noticed this. Could this have something to do with my fast HR sometimes? (I am not overweight so that sitting or standing should be any efford and I am fairly fit)
Thanks Dr Bets, really appreciate your help!

Hi Ruby
Your position does affect your heart rate - if you stand the heart must pump harder to get blood into the brain and down to the feet - more muscles also work when you stand - so you need more oxygen to the cells.