Posted by: Sally | 2008/08/20

HPV Vaccine advice from anyone taken it

HI I would like some advice, I Have just gone to my gynae for a follow up.I have HPV one of the strains that cause cervical cancer and he has prescribed Gardasil, I am in a serious relationship so I will not be exposed to any other HPV strains. Now I hear that the vaccine cannot help me but why would he prescribe it if it is unnecasarry? It will cost me about R3900 , R1300 per injection does that price sound right? I will take it but I just need some advice on this whole thing. Please anybody in the same situation?Thanks

You should discuss this with your gynaecologist. The advice is only to have it if you do not have HPV. It is a prevention, not a treatment.

Posted by: S | 2008/08/21

Hi Sally,

I have taken the vaccine twice and will be going in Nov for my last injection. I really must say if i knew that day at the gynae what i know now I would not have taken the vaccine. If you do the research in this matter to the extend that I have done you will see that the vaccine is only effective if given to girls who it not sexually active and never has been. They say that the vaccine only works for girls up to the age of 20. That day when the gynae told me that I have the same HPV strain virus as you causing cervical cancer I automatically thought I have to have this vaccine, but after my research and all the posts that I have had replies on THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOOOOOO CURE FOR THIS DISEASE!!!!!!!!! You can treat it by having the abnormal cells removed when it gets to much but that is the only way of treating the probable cause for cervical cancer and no medicine or vaccination will help you once you have it......I to am wondering why did the gynae said he would suggest me taking the vaccine but that question will be answered the next time I go for my pap smear in November...

The cost of the vaccine is R900 per shot so it should not cost more than that and the medical aids do not pay for it. If you look at all the articles in regards to the vaccine this is the rate you should be paying and not more...

Sorry for the long reply but I hope this will help you with your decision, the info above is based on facts alone...

Take care and good luck

Reply to S