Posted by: Star | 2009/03/11

HPV Testing &  Genital Warts

Hi, I' d like to know if there is a any way to test if one carries the HPV virus. I am a 42 year-old female. Is vaccination an option if you already carry the virus?

Also, can genital warts be spread through oral sex and would it appear on the outside of the mouth / chin?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageGynaeDoc

You can be tested for HPV. If you already have the strains which cause problems, then there is no point in having the vaccine. Oral genital contact can spread HPV. The warts would be on the genitalia.
Best wishes

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: cervical cancer | 2009/03/11

Yes, you can be tested for HPV and for the specific strain that you carry. Obviously there' s no point in being vaccinated against, for example, HPV-18 if you already have HPV-18. I have a different strain from those covered by the vaccine, so my gynae advised me to get the vaccine anyway to prevent me getting other strains of HPV, even though I am married and in a monogamous relationship.

Not sure about the oral part, sorry.

Reply to cervical cancer

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.