Question
Posted by: Dell | 2008/05/20

HPV and Worried

Dear Doc

I went to see my gynae in February this year and did my pap smear and when the results came, she phoned saying there is abnormalites of cells, fax a script of Metrogel V. After treatment i went back for second pap smear and HPV test, she called saying that the results show one thing that is high risk and gave me Metrogel V treatment again and said i should come in August for another test. What could be wrong. Your advise will be appreciated.

Dear Dell
Metrogel V is given for bacterial vaginal infections and HPV test tests for the human papilloma virus - my guess is that the cervical cells seem abnormal and that your doctor wants to find out whether it is due to an infection or due to precancerous cells. Rather go back for follow-up as this is exactly why we do pap smears, to pick up possible problems early and prevent cervix cancer developing.