Posted by: Worried | 2008/09/09

I have read that HPV is the main cause of cervical cancer and I am worried because I do not know much about HPV other than that it is a STD.
I read that you often won' t know you have the virus and this is what concerns me.
If I have had regular pap smears would my gynae have picked this up. All mt tests have been clear and he has never had to call me back after a check up.
I recently had a baby and went for several blood tests, would they have picked up HPV in those blood tests and told me.
I have never had any sort of infection other than thrush which only occurs when I am on antibiotics.
Thank you.

It should be picked up on a pap smear.

Posted by: Just some info | 2008/09/09

Hi Worried,

I was recently diagnosed with the HPV virus. I have been married for 10years now and have 2 kids ages 9 and 5. Have been going for pap smears yearly and they only picked it up about 4 months ago. I was horrified how was this possible and my gynae told me that the virus can stay dormant for up to 20 years in your body without ever picking it up. I have regular periods never had any infections or nothing so you wont be able to detect it other that with a pap smear.

They will pick it up on a pap smear so if yours is negative then you dont have to worry. There is no treatment for this disease and the only way to treat the abnormal cells is to do lazer treatment of abnormal cells. The vaccine is only recommended for girls up to 20 years of age who have not yet been sexually active and is only a prevention not a cure.

Got a fright of my life when the gynae called me after the pap smear and made a follow up consultation. They will pick it up you dont have to worry.

Reply to Just some info