Question
Posted by: RB | 2004/10/12

Howling Dog

I have 2 daschunds. When ever I park my car in front of the house the male goes absaluteley ballistic behind the gate. He's howling like crazy. This is very very irritating and embarrasing since our neighbours are not exactly dog lovers. I've tried spraying him with a water gun and threatning him with a pipe. He then only stays quiet untill we are inside the house and then he goes off again. When I eventually have the security backdoor open he's in his doghouse. It gets better when I spary him with water and ignore them except for gining them food. When I give any attention to them he' back to his old habbits. How can I stop this behavior.

Cheers

Hi RB
I'm not sure what's going on here and I think you need to get a behaviourist in to see what's happening. You need to try to understand why you dog's howling, not try to stop it. Usually this type of behaviour occurs when the dog is trying to impress the owner and is getting some sort of reward for doing it, even if it is punishment. For example: If he's had no interaction from you all day, then being looked at, sprayed and shouted at is better than getting ignored. To contact an accredited animal behaviour consultant in your area contact www.animal-behaviour.org.za
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST