Question
Posted by: ladybird | 2008/05/20

how to stop smoking?

hi ive been smoking (cigarettes) for 5 years now and have been unable to stop. unfortunately i have no money to buy patches or gum and quite frankly my cravings are driving me insane. any ideas how i can stop and how to not put on on weight?

thanx (btw love the website)

Yep, sadly cigarettes are probably the most clevely designed and marketed addictive substance available. But fortunately, the habit can be kicked. The problem would be finding the mosty cost-effective way of achieving this. One newer method that some find very helpful is the med Zyban ( which also happens to be an effective antidepressant ) which seems to reduce the craving and help people stop and stay stopped. Patches can also help, as can CBT counselling. And I don't get the point about cost --- ANY effective treatment would save you a whole lot of money ( add up all the costs of smoking !)

4
Posted by: Quit | 2008/05/21

I quit in June last year - 11 months ago. after one week - i was over the physcial cravings - the mental addiction is the hardest! i used 5HTP - a herbal antidepressant - Zyban is crap - you cant sleep, you cant eat and every person i know (about 5) that tried it - relapsed. I put on a bit of weight but that is nothing compaed to tarred lungs! plus you can excercise easier when you can breathe easier! You are stronger and bigger than the cigarette! You can do it:-) GOOD LUCK!

Reply to Quit
Posted by: Pieter | 2008/05/21

I have stopped Cold turkey on 16 April 2007 ( 1 Year 1 Month )after more than 20 years of smoking.<br><br>This is how much I saved re. my Quit meter .<br><br>My name is Pieter, and I am a nicotine addict.<br>I have stopped nicotine for 1 year, 1 month, 4 days, 14 hours, 11 minutes and 53 seconds (400 days).
I've not smoked 8012 death sticks, and saved R 7,326.60.
I've saved 27 days, 19 hours and 39 minutes of my life.

Reply to Pieter
Posted by: EL | 2008/05/21

Oh come on!! No money for patches etc.???? Your cigarettes cost you more than those things!! Get yourself Zyban, it's also cheaper than your monthly cigarettes!!

Reply to EL
Posted by: - | 2008/05/21

12 years ago i had a dream that my late father was sitting on the edge of my bed warning me to stop smoking. I never touched another cigarette. the first 3 weeks were difficult but it became easy after that. i found i could taste and smell things again and i didnt realise how much i stunk of cigarettes.. now im very anti smoking, not because i hate the smell or anything but i did develop lung cancer but i am now in remission.

Reply to -