Question
Posted by: Hennie | 2004/10/27

How to stop kitten jumoing on balcony wall?

Both my kittens jump up on the balcony wall. One has fallen already and luckily was fine. We are moving to a flat on the 2nd floor soon and I can't risk them falling from there. What can I do or put up to stop them from going there?? They are indoors cats so if they do fall off I might not find them and they don't know where they are! Please help, I don't want to keep the door closed all the time!

Hi Hennie
This is really a practical problem and you will ultimately have to consider practical solutions. It would be a pity to stop your kittens from going onto the balcony. The best would be to fence the opening between the wall and the roof using plastic or wire mesh or even wooden lattice. Ideally you should fence it on the outside of the wall so the cats can still sit on the wall and look out. You could also think about putting bubble wrap or sandpaper on the top of the walls or even spraying it with citronella or eucalyptus oil, which may deter them but is not totally safe, obviously. Wall spikes, particularly Eina Ivy, also stop cats from walking on top of walls as does electric fencing.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

4
Posted by: K | 2004/11/01

Hi Hennie

Yes, that was what I meant, sorry it won;t work - can't really think of anything else to help!

Reply to K
Posted by: hennie | 2004/10/29

Hi K
Do you mean around the openings of the balcony? I live in a complex so I don't think that would be allowed unfortunately?
Would be good though!

Reply to hennie
Posted by: K | 2004/10/28

What about putting some shade netting up, it does allow quite a lot of light through and if you fix it to the waals properly it may stop them getting though?

Reply to K
Posted by: Carol | 2004/10/27

Thats a predicimant and a half !!! The only thing i can think of is too put an anti pet spray on the wall ...i hope someonle else has a better plan ..

Reply to Carol