Question
Posted by: Riekie | 2004/01/12

How to stop dogs from fouling paving & garage floor

We have a 10 week old pup who quickly got into the habit of using the lawn to relieve himself but then we "inherited" a 14 year old maltese which was locked up in a washroom at night having to relieve himself on the washroom floor and against the washroom walls. Since he came along, both him AND the pup are now in the habit of doing the same in the garage and on the paving. I have tried "get off" with no results. Is there any other way or any liquid, powder etc I could use to put them off from doing it allover the place? How do I stop this habit without making matters worse? Please help!

Hi Riekie
As you correctly say the older dog has learned this behaviour by being forced to eliminate on paved areas, so now this has become his preferred "substrate" or surface for urinating (and defaecating?). To change this is going to be difficult, but the only way is to re-train him and the pup at the same time. Try to keep them away from the paved areas by putting up little fences or closing doors. At night or when they are left alone they should have access to lawn or soil (and perhaps a carpeted area or blankets) only, but no access to paved areas. If this means you have to build a special enclosure for these times, then so be it. Make sure they have shelter, shade and water to drink, especially if they are outside. You can use a large shallow box, like a litter tray for cats, which you line with plastic and fill with sand or instant lawn. Place it on one side of the enclosure and their bedding on the other. You will need to clean it regularly, but always leave some of the urine scent behind to remind them where to go. Eventually they should look for the "toilet" area, which you can then move gradually to where you want them to eliminate, e.g. the lawn. Using deterrents will only encourage the older dog to re-mark his spots because "someone else has been there". Rather clean up with Sunlight liquid and water and perhaps use "Pet Odour Killer" or "Sannitree" to remove the odour. But clean up when they are not around to see you do it. Ignore all mistakes and praise and reward them when they do the right thing.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

1
Posted by: kkk | 2004/01/15

firstly. close the garage door, so they cant get in to do there buisness, then on the pavement, place a whole lot of two litre bottles filled with water(to make them heavy) and place all over paving, they will find the area to busy to do there buisness, and hopefully go else where, it takes about two weeks, then you can remove the bottles.
good luck, ive been there, and it worked for me.

Reply to kkk