Question
Posted by: Cat Lover | 2008/01/21

How to stop a cat from kneeding.

Hi i have just recently acquired a beautiful adult female cat. The travel in the car and getting to her new home was not unordinarily traumatic. She seems to have settled quite a bit. Have had her now for about 2 weeks.
She is very loving, and i love lap-cats! But she constantly what i know as "kneeds/needs" on what ever fabric she happens to be lying on. From what i have been told this is from the same habit of feeding on their mothers after birth and happens most in kittens who are taken from the mother too soon. But Im not sure this is the case. What do you think the cause is and how can i stop her from doing it? Cos she is starting to ruin my bed linen, upholstery and clothes!

It could be some stress due to the translocation. Using a Feliway vapourizer where she spends most of her time will help her to settle down. Please trim her nails as well. The sharp translucent part of the nail can be cut without causing pain. Please have you local vet nurse show you how to trim the nails.

2
Posted by: Cat Lover | 2008/01/28

Thank you so much to both cybervet and blaah.
Both answers were informative. Surprisingly enough, over the weekend i bought her some catnip, and it seems to have reduced the amount she is kneeding. But i will still take her to the vet to get her nails clipped, and to find out how to do this myself. How much would a consultaion like that normally cost?

Thanks again,
Cat Lover

Reply to Cat Lover
Posted by: Blaah | 2008/01/21

My male cat did that (ex feral)
but he would kneed with both his front legs an back legs it was quiet a sight and very funny (he looked like a train)
but he would get so carried away and go on and on till you couldn't take it anymore or until he feel asleep even then he sometimes did not stop

he destoryed a couple of pairs jeans, some cloths etc and left the most horrific marks on our legs or whatever part his was kneeding, he would stick his claws out as far as they would go when kneeding and they were dam sharp

what we did ( as far as i know you can't stop ths as it is a in born habit and natural) was to buy decent quality thick throws for the bed and couchs, we stoped leaving any clothes out that he could get on to to kneed and when he would come to sit by us we used a bigish old over stuffed pillow (it should be relatively firm and a size suitable for you) with a roughish outside material for him to claw on he soon learned to move to claw the pillow when sitting by us (you can use catnip on te pillow to get the used to it as well)

we also placed his bed on the bed during the day and next to the bed at night (he wasn't big on sleeping on the bed with us) plus my cats have thier own room that we lock them in at night (now that this cat i am mentioning has passed we allow the other cat back in the bedroom)

you can speak to your vet about claw caps, little plastic caps you put on the claws that stop most of the damage or you can regularly take you cat to the vet and have their nails cut (have him show you how as well), cutting claws on your own is a brave endevour and be prepared to be scratched till they get used to it ad be careful when doing it that you don't cut too short.

good luck and enjoy her

Reply to Blaah