Posted by: Mayood | 2008/10/28

how to reduce water retention with pms.

How Can I get rid of Water Retention during PMS? What foods can help?

Dear Mayood
If you suffer from severe water retention during PMS then if may be a good idea to ask your dr or gynae to prescribe a mild diuretic (water pill) to take during the time of the month when you have these symptoms. Otherwise read the article I have written on this subject. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read article 57 'PMS and diet' to obtain tips on what you can do to prevent these PMS symptoms. The use of vitamin B complex supplements, omega-3 fatty acid capsules, a high potassium intake (lots of fresh fruit and veg), moderate exercise and not overdoing water intake can all help. In addition you could use dried juniper berries (buy at health shop). You take 1 teaspoon of these berries and boil them up in 1 cup of water to make an infusion which you can drink 2-3 times a day (discard the berries). The juniper berries are a mild diuretic.
I hope this helps you to overcome the water retention.