Question
Posted by: Maryo | 2007/04/11

How to prevent osteoporosis?

Hi there, can you please give me some advice on how to prevent osteoporosis? Both my grandmother and my mother has it and I don't want it as well! Thanks in advance!

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Maryo,

Many thanks for your question. There are some lifestyle changes that you can make which may reduce your risk of developing Osteoporosis. These include ensuring that there are adequate levels of calcium, boron, magnesium and vitamin C in your diet, taking regualr weight bearing exercise, avoid smoking, reduce alcohol levels if they are above 21 units per week, avoid dieting but have a regular healthy eating plan, minimise saturated fat intake.

Unfortunately, having family history of Osteoporosis does significantly increase your risk. Other risk factors include being female, early menopause or removal of ovaries, being post menopausal, increasing age etc. I would suggest that from the age of 45, you have a DEXA bone density scan every 3-5 years, dependent upon the results.

Gary Riley