Question
Posted by: The Nice Guy | 2005/12/09

How to overcome this?

I am 17 and have had only 3 gilrfriends ever, i never know how to approach a girl or what to say.... Oh yes I am always, always, ALWAYS!!! worried about my looks and what i look like at all times. Now im not a bad looking guy but the tiniest thing will put me off! Some advice on overcoming shyness or what i could do?!

Expert ImageTeen expert

Having had 3 girlfriends at 17 is not bad, and to be honest its not about the number of girlfriends but rather the quality of those relationships whether short or longer term.

Each day notice something good about yourself either in how you look, feel or something you do. This will begin to increase your confidence in yourself. Sometimes you also have to push yourself a little. Those things you find yourself backing away from - gradually try attempting those. Remind yourself that if they do not work out this does not mean you are a failure, it just means that one particular situation did not work.

Shyness is overcome by balancing listening to yourself and your own needs, and slowly building confidence by revealing to yourself all the good things about you.

If you find it is too hard to do this on your own, it would help to see a psychologist where you can talk openly and confidentially about these issues and begin to resolve them.

2
Posted by: to shy | 2006/01/18

hi im 14 , and i'm really super shy.its like when i get home i can act really out going but at at school or and public i lose cofident and set out during activites with my friends.they try to get me to participate,but im get shy in slack out.sometimes i dont feel good about myself and become stress out that i spend most of my time being lonely.please help me with my shyness i feel its ruining my ife on participating with my friends.thanks.

Reply to to shy
Posted by: grisly | 2005/12/15

fake it till you make it. look at other confident people, they too have insecurities, and try and mimic their attitude... apply this to your lifestyle...

fit into your skin.

so something everyday you are good at, be it programming, sport or writing... and this will give you purpsose

Reply to grisly