Question
Posted by: Paul | 2004/10/18

How to incease your speed

Hello i was wondering what the best way to train with regards to fitness and mussle building to increase your overall running speed.

Hi Paul

Training for speed is a very specific goal. It's quite different from training for weight loss, where you will usually see some progress irrespective of how you go about it. In otherwords, you can be a lot more general in your approach. Training for speed is very different because it depends on what distance you are doing. In otherwords, speed is relative, and so a 5000 m runner has very different speed requirements from a marathon runner. I don't know which you are, and so it's a hazard to try to prescribe training for speed, because in all likelihood I will guess wrong. For example, a marathon runner might do a speed work session of 5 x 2000 m at 10 km race pace or slightly slower, with about 2 or 3 minutes rest in between, whereas a 10 km runner would rather do 6 x 1000 m at about 5000 m pace, with 3 or 4 minutes rest in between. You see, the sessions are quite different. The general principle is the same though, and so I think that what you should do is try to do interval training - this is where you decide on a distance and then run repeats, like the 6 x 1000 I described above. The pace you run them at would be slightly faster than your goal running pace. Say you wanted to crack 40 minutes for 10km, then I would suggest you run 1000 m in about 3:50, for example.

If you do this once a week you will be able to see improvements in speed pretty soon. I am sorry I can't be more specific, but giving out training programmes is actually quite a precise thing (which is why I get terribly annoyed by things like magazines that apply general principles to everyone - we are not all the same and so training programmes should be different too).

1
Posted by: Dee | 2004/10/19

Also send me information on the topic.

Reply to Dee