Posted by: Paul | 2004/10/18

How to incease your speed

Hello i was wondering what the best way to train with regards to fitness and mussle building to increase your overall running speed.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageFitnessDoc

Hi Paul

Training for speed is a very specific goal. It's quite different from training for weight loss, where you will usually see some progress irrespective of how you go about it. In otherwords, you can be a lot more general in your approach. Training for speed is very different because it depends on what distance you are doing. In otherwords, speed is relative, and so a 5000 m runner has very different speed requirements from a marathon runner. I don't know which you are, and so it's a hazard to try to prescribe training for speed, because in all likelihood I will guess wrong. For example, a marathon runner might do a speed work session of 5 x 2000 m at 10 km race pace or slightly slower, with about 2 or 3 minutes rest in between, whereas a 10 km runner would rather do 6 x 1000 m at about 5000 m pace, with 3 or 4 minutes rest in between. You see, the sessions are quite different. The general principle is the same though, and so I think that what you should do is try to do interval training - this is where you decide on a distance and then run repeats, like the 6 x 1000 I described above. The pace you run them at would be slightly faster than your goal running pace. Say you wanted to crack 40 minutes for 10km, then I would suggest you run 1000 m in about 3:50, for example.

If you do this once a week you will be able to see improvements in speed pretty soon. I am sorry I can't be more specific, but giving out training programmes is actually quite a precise thing (which is why I get terribly annoyed by things like magazines that apply general principles to everyone - we are not all the same and so training programmes should be different too).


The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Dee | 2004/10/19

Also send me information on the topic.

Reply to Dee

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.