Question
Posted by: chantelle | 2005/12/06

How to help a HIV positive person

Hi All
I just need some advise on how to help my younger sister who is 21 years old and she is HIV positive, she just found out about her CD4 Count is 264, and was told that she does not need to take any treatment because she is fine, is this true, and the other thing she's got stuff coming out of her body something like mums not sure of it, It's just a small round things appering in her face not painful though, What do you give a person in her status to boost her immune system,

Your input would be gladly appreciated.

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Chantelle

Thanks for your question. I'm answering in point form for the sake of clarity.

1. Apart from loving support from you and, hopefully, other family members, your sister needs counselling from a HIV counsellor for the emotional trauma, but also to coach her through the various things she can do to keep healthy. If no such services is available in your area or if it is dificult for her to access them, free telephone counselling is available by calling 0800-012-322. This forum as well as the HIV pear support forum on Health24 could also be of value to her.

2. Although she does not need ARV treatment until her CD4 count is below 200, she does need to take specially good care of her health by eating correctly, keeping the immune system as opperational as possible and treating any opportunistic infections and symptoms as you mentioned promptly and effectively. A clinic, docter or HIV counsellor will be able to assist with links to the necessary resources (see point 1). A good basic guide is also the Positive Health booklet, available from HIV counsellors. Products that assist the immune system include garlic, African Potato and eccinasea.

Hope this helps!

Stay well
Laurent