Posted by: Wees | 2008/08/13

how to get my husband to see shrink

my husband saw a physcologist 5 months ago and was advised to continue treatmetn and then seek out a shrink to go onto meds.

He has done neither and has become unbearable to live with - i really love him and understand his issues - i acknowledge that they are really but i am ready to leave him if he doesnt do something : i seem to be the ' verbal punching bag'  for all his emotions as he doesnt know how to deal with himself and his depression and agression. i feel highly abused!
We have 3 kids and a 18 yr history. Do we just throw this away?
OR can i make him see reason and resume his sessions and go see a shrink for meds?
Any advise please?

Having issues is no excuse for being inconsiderate or failing to look after oneself properly. How would he respond to a calmly delivered ultimatum that if he doesn't start seeing a psychiatrist and working with medication and counselling to deal with his problems, you and the kids may need to move away for a time, rather than expose yourselves to this unpleasantness ?
You can't force anyone to see a shrink, and if they go unwillingly it dowsn't really help. You can only encourage them to do what needs to be done, and protect yourselves.