Posted by: Wees | 2008/08/13

how to get my husband to see shrink

my husband saw a physcologist 5 months ago and was advised to continue treatmetn and then seek out a shrink to go onto meds.

He has done neither and has become unbearable to live with - i really love him and understand his issues - i acknowledge that they are really but i am ready to leave him if he doesnt do something : i seem to be the ' verbal punching bag'  for all his emotions as he doesnt know how to deal with himself and his depression and agression. i feel highly abused!
We have 3 kids and a 18 yr history. Do we just throw this away?
OR can i make him see reason and resume his sessions and go see a shrink for meds?
Any advise please?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Having issues is no excuse for being inconsiderate or failing to look after oneself properly. How would he respond to a calmly delivered ultimatum that if he doesn't start seeing a psychiatrist and working with medication and counselling to deal with his problems, you and the kids may need to move away for a time, rather than expose yourselves to this unpleasantness ?
You can't force anyone to see a shrink, and if they go unwillingly it dowsn't really help. You can only encourage them to do what needs to be done, and protect yourselves.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.