Posted by: Anon | 2009/04/20

How to Gain Weight

My husband has been skinny all his life, this has really bothered him. I need to know if there is anything he can do to pick up weight.
He doesn' t even weigh 60 kg' s and he is 1.78m tall !
Any advise will be helpful.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Anon
Your husband is indeed underweight with a BMI of approx. 19. It would be good if he could increase his weight to 73 kg so that he has a normal BMI of 23. If a patient's metabolism is very fast, then it may be a good idea to have a gp check the patient's thyroid function, because an overactive thyroid can cause pronounced weight loss and prevent weight gain. Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your hubby's energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about his need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically your hubby needs to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much he eats at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to his regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If he uses a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then he should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.