Question
Posted by: Daniel | 2005/07/18

how to find a particular psychotherapist

I need to find a particular sort of person to be a clinical psychologist/psychotherapist/relationship counsellor for my daughter and husband. From my own experience in lay counselling I can tell that I need the therapist to be a woman, not too young, nevertheless with a modern outlook, unrestricted by old-fashioned attitudes, with no personal agenda against either young women or middle-aged men, in order to help these too sort out their destructive relationship. How do I go about finding this person?

I understand what you'd like, Daniel. And I rather wish there were some sort of Computer-Dating system to match client and therapist / counsellor. But there isn't, for many reasons, including that it would be very difficult and expensive to keep track of who practised where, let alone to evaluate such important but rather nebulous aspects as attitudes and interests, let alone skills. Your best bet might be to phone your local branch of FAMSA, which should know its range of local counsellors fairly well

1
Posted by: Powerpuff | 2005/07/19

My goodness - that is quite a shopping list! You could always place an ad in the Sunday Times (lol)

But I think the only way you will find that is by "testing" many - but even that is not necessary. Any person that is trained in counselling should be adaptable to fit the patient. And if they have a personal agenda against any type of person - well, guess who needs the therapy.

Reply to Powerpuff