Question
Posted by: what to say | 2007/03/23

how to explain how i feel

please can you tell me what to say to my doctor about how i am feeling i have been told to see him as i have been terribly depressed for two weeks and have tried to commit suicide but how do i tell him this he is going to think i am mad and stupid

Dear What to say
No he won't - he will just take you seriously! Tell him exactly how you feel - especially regarding your sleeping patterns, eating patterns, energy levels, emotional feelings, and it is important to tell him about the suicide thoughts. You are "mad" if you feel like this and don't realize it! Knowing that there is a problem and that you want to try and get help for it is the "normal" thing to do. Thinking of you and praying for you - if I may. Keep me posted.

2
Posted by: Echelle | 2007/03/23

Doctors will never think that you're stupid, they take it seriously and they will refer you to someone as well, but make sure it's a good doctor to get the right pills for you! They sometimes give people pills that's too strong or too mild. Why not go to the Cybershrink forum and tell your story there?

Reply to Echelle
Posted by: Cornel | 2007/03/23

Don't be scared to tell your Doctor EXACTLY how you feel! He won't think that you are mad or stupid. I am sure he deals with patients that have those symptoms on a regular basis and Doctor-patient confidentiality means he will not tell your parents, spouse or any one without your consent.

Good luck. Will be thinking of you.

Reply to Cornel