Question
Posted by: DOT | 2008/08/11

HOW TO DEAL WITH THE BACKSTABBER

Thank you for your response. I am in the lucky position that my boss himself doesn' t trust this girl and states that he wants nothing to do with her. Problem is, that we are a very small department and are basically like a family. I don' t like it when people discuss me behind my back by making up stories and getting away with it. Why should one work in these kinds of conditions? She is also not practising as an attorney because she has been studying part-time (for about 7 years now). She has only recently passed her last exams. She has also lied during her interviews: with HR the story was that her previous employer wasn' t interested in offering her articles, but with the one director, the story was that she isn' t interested in pursuing articles and becoming an attorney. Now that the Director of the department is on leave, she suddenly wants to speak to our CA department and see whether she can get her articles. This is very underhanded and precisely when the person who employed her is not at the office. My strategy is to simply stay away from her. I greet her and that is basically it. If other people want to believe her stories, they are welcome to. At least I know I have my boss at my back.

If your boss also doesn't trust her, how come she's still working there ? In any office, maybe especially a lawyer's, trust is essential. Presumably she should be encouraged to do her articles --- SOMEWHERE ELSE.