Question
Posted by: preggy | 2005/01/13

how to come to terms with changing body

How do you come to terms with your changing body while pregnant? Every time I step on the scale I am horrified at what I see. I've only put on about one and a half kilos so far (20 wks) but I know that this is just the beginning...

I know I should rather be proudly showing off my preggy belly but I feel like hiding. I have always had issues with my weight (near anorexia as a teen- but sorted out now), and as a result I've always kept it in check. Don't get me wrong, I am perfectly healthy and my gynae is very happy with both my and baby's health.

It is just hard to see these changes. To me they don't look beautiful and fertile, I feel fat and waddly and out of control.

It may sound silly, but surely I can't be the only one feeling this way?

Please help.

If you had anorexia previously, you may have body image problems. Perhaps CyberShrink may be of help.

8
Posted by: Lee | 2005/01/14

good idea doc - see a shrink. You should be embracing your pregnant body. it really sounds like you need to see someone!!!!

Reply to Lee
Posted by: sunflower | 2005/01/14

Hello

I picked up weight in all different places when i was pregnant .. not knowing i was pregnant .. i felt bad about the extra 8 kilos.. then at 2 months 2 weeks i found out about the pregnancy.. two days after finding out about the pregnancy I had a miscarriage.. but i felt bad afterwards that I had been so negative towards my 'healthy fat'.
It's now a week after my miscarriage, and have two more kilos bad to normal weight! I did nothing different, i just felt my clothes less fitting..

You will loose the kilos after your pregnancy. and be comfortable or the baby will feel the negativity..
Eating healthy and gentle exercising now will help loose the kilos after the pregnancy..

Tx

Reply to sunflower
Posted by: Mindy | 2005/01/14

Same here! 22 weeks now and I find my body repulsive though I've only picked up about 3kg. We used to have a great sexlife, but I suppose hubby is just as repulsed by my round belly coz we don't even hug much anymore. My pants don't fit, my breasts are tender and uncomfortable and I feel sluggish all the time, like I'm in slow motion or something.

Love my little alien but I wish there was another way of "growing" them!

Reply to Mindy
Posted by: Nuffing | 2005/01/13

I picked up 18 and 20kgs respectively with my 2 sons, and with breastfeeding lost it ALL within 3 weeks first time and 3 months the second time.

I loved being pregnant and even though I wasn't the same size and shape but with a bump - I spread everywhere, I felt very special and smug when pregnant. People LOVE seeing preggy ladies and always give you a warm happy smile - it's like having a wonderful secret. I normally shy away from attention, but because it was about the baby and not me I revealed in it - same as when baby was born... it's made me much more confident.

Reply to Nuffing
Posted by: Mommy | 2005/01/13

You are not alone.

I also hated being pregnant (the body changing part). I definately wasn't one of that "glowing" pregnant woman. I was constantly depressed when I looked in the mirror and saw my body stretching. I picked 14Kgs. My boy is now 7 months old and I'm struggling to lose the last 5kgs.

Try to breasfeed after birth. Not only is it the best for your baby, but you also dropped kilos faster. My neighbour breastfed her baby, and she was back in her normal clothes after just 3 months.

Reply to Mommy
Posted by: Norma | 2005/01/13

I still don't know how woman can feel sexually attractive when pregnant. I hated being pregnant, don't get me wrong, I loved to feel my baby move, but for the changing body, not for me....
I really tried to eat healthy, and still picked up 28kg's during my pregnancy. I asked my doc why, and he said that some woman just picked more than others, there was also an article on this.
Anyway..... my boy is 6months and I'm struggling to lose the last 5kg's.
But my boddy will never be the same again....
Don't mean to depress you but that's life.

Just try to stay healthy, and think about your baby and not your boddy..

Reply to Norma
Posted by: preggy | 2005/01/13

Thank you Lizelle. I know you are right. How long did it take to lose your weight? Did you breastfeed?

Reply to preggy
Posted by: Lizelle | 2005/01/13

Believe me you are not the only one feeling like this. I have always been very weight conscious and when I fell pregnant with my son (who is 2 now) I picked up 17kg, but I lost all of it before I went back to work again. You will pick up weight, but you will also lose it again. Don't stress about it because there is nothing you can do about it - you will pick up weight. Just make sure you eat healthy foods and not chocolates, chips etc and you can be sure that you will get rid of the weight afterwards. Enjoy being pregnant!

Reply to Lizelle