Question
Posted by: Anonymous | 2008/07/17

how to beat birth defects???

I would like to find out more about how folic acid actually works in the body. What other vitamin needs to be taken with it so that I am certain it is working… I don’t eat much fruit & vegetables, I fell pregnant & had to abort my pregnancy due to my baby having spina bifida & hydrocephalus. How do I make sure that the folic acid is dissolving????????? I am currently taking a multivitamin 2 a day & also have one folic acid tablet daily.

The folic acid is the important thing in preventing spina bifida .Unless you are vomiting or have a bowel problem, the folic acid will be absorbed. What you are taking sounds fine.