Question
Posted by: Sandy | 2005/07/15

How soon can blood test tell if I'm pregnant

My period is due in a week's time on the 22 of July, which is a Friday (day 28) How soon after conception, will a blood test be positive. The reason I ask, is that I desperately would love to be pregnant, and I know me (and my partner) won't want to wait until the next Monday to know if I'm preganant. I live in the country and have to plan my trips to town (to have the blood test done)!

And then my second question would also be how long it takes the average women to get pregnant after leaving contraception ?
Thanks so much - all opinions welcome.

The blood test will be positive a day or two before your expected period.
For your second questions, refer to the Top 5 questions.

3
Posted by: D | 2005/07/15

Hi sandy,

Freaky! my 'p' is due on the thursday. It's the worst feeling having to wait. Just be strong and try wait as long as possible. I have a doc app on that day and am hoping he can do a blood test then. It's scary to me how many girls miss their period and 10 days later it arrives. How disappointing. Hope the winds of change are here and this is our turn.

Reply to D
Posted by: SLC | 2005/07/15

Rather wait until you miss your period. After conception, the fertilised egg still travels down the fallopian tube & I speak under correction but I think your body only starts producing the hormone they test for AFTER implantation has occurred.

With regards to how long it takes to conceive after contraception - I think it also depends on what you've been using. I was on the pill & it took me 6 months to fall pregnant. A friend of mine fell pregnant in the first month after having her loop removed.

Good Luck - I hope you get your positive result. It'll happen though when the time is right - try to be patient.

Reply to SLC
Posted by: Melanie | 2005/07/15

Hi Sandy, I speak under correction but I think you can do a blood test 2 days before you period is due. It is better to wait until you miss a period. I think now is too soon as you might get a false negative. I hope you are preggies!!!

Reply to Melanie