Question
Posted by: cacey | 2003/12/03

How seriously is Sick Building Syndrome regarded in SA?

I don't normally put much faith in sydromes and the like but it seems this Sick Building Sydrome applies to my state of health all too accurately. I've always been healthy, eat well seldom overindulge, do yoga three times a week etc but since taking a desk job in a large sealed airconned building I have been plagued with headaches, respiratory problems, fatigue, a hideous phlegmy and painful cough, and a loss of appetite. I was even hospitalised (for the first time in my life I might add) with pneumonia. It fact my entire immune system appears to be compromised. My question is: How seriously is this syndrome regarded in South Africa? And: Short of leaving my good well paying job, what can be done to fix me?

Cacey, it all depends on whom you work for. If you work for a company that cares for its employees, they will look into it for you. Your other option would be to contact your union or to lodge a complaint with the department of labour (both of these might make you fairly unpopular at work). Good luck.

1
Posted by: cacey | 2003/12/03

May I just add that I can wake up feeling fine - but after two to three hours in the office I feel like I have been put through a mangle and am coughing like a two-pack a day smoker (and I don't smoke!). Also, after a few hours of being out of the office the symptoms seem to abate.

Reply to cacey