Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2004/12/03

How safe is the nova-t ??

Hi doc, I just had a baby 5 mnths ago and had the nova-t fitted, i still feel a bit unsure as to whether is works, sometimes after my period the string is also a bit longer is that normal ??
Can it fall out, how do you know if still in place, how effective is it ?
I don't want to keep on running to the doc, i have seen my doc a month ago and he said all is well and in place, but yet i still don't feel 100 % !!! I decided to have it fitted so you don't have to worry about taking pills or going for injections !
The last thing i need know is to have another baby, that's going to have to wait till we ready for another one.

The IUCD is about 98% effective. You have had it checked and you are checking the strings regularly. It sounds like things are fine. It can fall out, which is why it is important to check the strings after each period. Some shortening or lenghtening of the string is okay.