Question
Posted by: sweetpea | 2005/12/09

how safe is the copper t?

Hi Doc,

I decided to have the copper t inserted six weeks after my second baby was born. What I want to know is how long can I keep it in for and can it cause discomfort, even when I am not menstruating? Also if it is removed, how quickly can I fall pregnant - I had no problems with falling pregnant with my children. I am 24 years old.

You can keep it in for 5 years. It should not cause discomfort when you are no menstruating.You should be able to conceive as soon as the IUCD is removed.

1
Posted by: Syd | 2005/12/12

I had it for 3 years. A months ago I has it removed and a pap smear were done. The results read that Actinomyces species were present. I am not quit sure what it is although the doctor explained it to me. Acc to him it does not effect your chances of getting pregnant, it was cuased by the copper.He also mentioned that it was recently discovered and that it is very rare.MAybe you should consult a doctor first

Reply to Syd