Posted by: Jolene | 2008/08/01

How old is too old to fall pregnant

Hi There, I am 35 year old female. If everything is going according to plan, I will be married at 36, start with family at 37 years. Is this too old to fall pregnant, when, what age does it start to be dangerous for the mother.

Dear Jolene

In general, fertility does decline from age 35 onwards, but is certainly not impossible. Most fertility clinics would continue treating couples up to age 45 but the pregnancy rate beyond for age 45 is extremely low and does not warrant the expenses involved. At age 40, the chances of successful conception with invitro fertilization at our institute is still in the order of 30 – 35% and is certainly worth an attempt.

Answered by: Dr. M.I. Cassim