Question
Posted by: Ernie Scott | 2010/03/07

How much zinc is too much

I am 82 and have been taking 50mg of zinc for 15 years. No problems that I know of. Should the mg. be reduced or should I continue?

Dear Ernie
Glad to hear that you are fit and well at the age of 82. Now the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for zinc in adult men over the age of 50 years is 15 milligram per day. So if you have been taking 50 milligram of zinc per day for 15 years, then I would recommend that you gradually decrease the dose until you are taking 15 mg per day. I am relieved that you have not developed any side-effects from taking such a high dose for such a long time. It should always be kept in mind that if a small quantity of a nutrient is good for you, this does not automatically mean that a large quantity will be better, it can actually be harmful, esp with metals like zinc and iron.
Take care

1

Dear Ernie
Take care