Question
Posted by: bloated | 2004/01/21

how much water should i be drinking a day

Please can you tell me how much water I should be having per day. Is there such a thing as too much? And what is the minimum amount I can get away with , as sometimes I am just not thirsty.
If a person suffers from different medical conditions are the amounts also different or is it the same for everyone?

Dear Reader
Basically it is recommended that humans drink about 2-3 litres of FLUIDS a day - this includes ALL THE BEVERAGES you drink: coffee, tea, milk, fruit juice, cold drinks, and even beer and wine. If your daily liquid intake is not sufficient, then it is advisable to also drink 1-1.5 litres of water in addition (this is about 4-6 glasses depending on how hot it is - in summer you would drink more than in winter). You can use tap water, soda water, flavoured water and filtered water. Do not drink too much because an excessive intake can also be harmful - moderation is always the best. Excessive water intake will wash some of the essential minerals out of your body - calcium, magnesium, potassium and even sodium.
In certain illnesses such as bladder infections the patient is advised to drink more water, but also not really more than 1,5 litres a day.