Question
Posted by: water freak | 2005/01/03

how much water is too much

im 1.73m and currently weigh 61.9kgs. im drinking 3 litres of water a day minimum. is this to much? Im trying to lose weight, and scared that im suffering from water retention or something

Dear Water Freak
Happy New Year. I must caution you about drinking this amount of water because excessive water intake can lead to depletion of essential minerals such as potassium, magnesium, calcium and sodium and disturb your electrolyte balance. A disturbed electrolyte balance can result in oedema which would give the impression of water retention. Don't drink more than 2 litres of FLUID (this includes all drinks and water) a day, unless it is very hot, in which case 2 litres a day should be more than adequate. Secondly I cannot understand why you are trying to lose weight. Your present BMI = 20,7, which is BELOW the ideal for your height (namely 22). Why on earth are you trying to lose weight? Please stop subjecting your body to all these stresses - and take care that you don't develop an eating disorder.

2
Posted by: water freak | 2005/01/04

thanks foryour advise.its helped me already.
currently i am forcing the water down so will be sure to slow down a bit. Thank you.

Reply to water freak
Posted by: J | 2005/01/03

Hi there.

I think that it is possible to drink too much water. Too much of anything is bad for you. Some of the vitamins and nutrients we consume are water soluable and if you drink too much water, the body is not able to absorb the nutrients or vitamins before they are desolved in the water, therefore flushing out the system before the body has absorbed what nutrients are needed. I'm not sure how much is too much but I know that I drank between 3 and 4 litres of water ta day to assist in weight loss and after a while I was rushed to the doctor because of dehydration. Drinking water does not rehydrate you (esp in summeror if you are sick with the runs and vomiting) for rehydration, you need something with electrolytes like energade or powerade. Your BMI is 21 so I'm not sure why you are trying to loose weight?? Don't force your body to drink water if you are not thirsty or are craving something else - it will just be a matter of time before your body shows a lack of nutrients.

Reply to J