Question
Posted by: Helena | 2004/01/19

How much should 7 Year Old Girl weigh?

Hallo
My 7 year old daughter eats us out of the house. I have dewormed the whole family just as a precaution, but she still has an enourmous appetite. She eats more than 2 adults per day. She does not like cookies or sweeties, she just eats a lot of food, especially carbs like noodles. She is 128cm tall and weighs 29kg. She is moderately active and although she is not skinny she looks healthy - she has no fat rolls nor a big bum or tummy. I am just concerned that if she continues eating like this she might become overweight soon and have all the problems linked to being an overweight youngster.
HELP!

Dear Helena
According to the USA Tables, a girl of 7 should have an average weight of about 22 kg and a height of about 117 cm. The weight and height of your lassie is the average for 9-10-year-olds, thus she is already much heavier and taller than children of 7. In cases such as these, it is important to have the child assessed by a specialist such as Paediatrician or a Physician to rule out any underlying growth problems. Let's first see what the specialist says before we make dietary changes.