Question
Posted by: Maryo | 2007/04/11

How much protein do I need?

Hi there? I have recently started doin kickboxing an hour every day. My teachers gave me a diet to follow but it llooks like there is way too much protein. I am 22, weigh 67 and am 166cm tall. Is there a way to calculate this? I just want to lose fat and tone down, not build muscle. Anxiously awaiting your reply, thanks in advance!

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Maryo

The RDA for protein is 0.8g per kilogram of body weight, but the recommendation is to take between 1,4 – 2g of protein per kilogram of muscle tissue per day. Thus if you do not subtract your fat mass from your body mass you will need max 134g protein per day – to give you an indication 25g protein = about any of the following: 100g chicken breast, half a tin of tuna, 200g fat free cottage cheese and 6-7 egg whites (one yolk only).

You are welcome to the advice! Good luck with the training and enjoy!

Vanessa