Question
Posted by: Mr R | 2004/01/08

How much protein

I weight 85 kg at 23 % body fat. I get so much confusing and conflicting information, so let me ask you :

1. How much prot should I take on my weight training day to gain muscle?
2. How much prot should I take on my weight training day not to loose muscle? (minimum so I can still diet to loose fat)

3. How much prot should I take on my off day to gain muscle?
4. How much prot should I take on my off day not to loose muscle?

Expert ImageBodybuilding

Mr R,

My suggestion is that you don't complicate things too much. Try 2.5g of protein per kg of body mass at all times. In your case this is 2.5g x 85kg = 212.5g or round it up to 220g per day. Remember that a 100g steak only has 20g of protein in it so I suggest that you get a book tabling these amounts.

You may also want to try supplementing with meal replacement formulas or a protein powder to help get in the correct and needed amounts of protein that you need on daily basis.

Keep well,

Conrad Booysen-Biokineticist