Question
Posted by: tess | 2007/02/20

how much nuts is TOO MUCH?

i love nuts - cashews and macadamia's especially ... Patrick Holford said that they're good for you ...
my hubby and i get some at the Fruit & Veg City (about 400grams cashews and macadamia) and can eat them all within 2 days..
we usually don't get hungry for anything else - so we snack on the nuts the entire day..
but how much is too much ? i know they're packed with kj's - so what is an acceptable amount /per day or / per week ?
and which of the 2 is more nutritious and less kj's and fat ?
is there another nut that is better to eat ?
i do cycling and spinning 4xper week but i do have about 2kg's to loose ... will this affect my weight loss?
pls assist me dietdoc !
thank you

Dear Tess
According to the SA Food Tables, cashew and Macadamia nuts contain 2400 kJ and 2940 kJ per 100g and 46,4g and 73.7g of fat per 100g, respectively. Thus if you and your hubby eat 400 g of say the Macadamias you are ingesting 11,760 kJ between the two of you or enough energy for an active adult man per day! Any food eaten in excess can lead to weight gain if it pushes up your total energy intake for the day above the requirement. The usual recommendation is that one should eat nuts in small quantities of about 30g a day. They are of course excellent sources of poly- and unsaturated fatty acids which protect us against heart disease, but they ate extremely high in kJ.