Question
Posted by: MRM | 2004/01/06

how much is too much beta-carotene?

What is a healthy number of carrots that one can eat per day without side-effects? I've been drinking vegetable juice in the mornings as part of a healthy regime. The recipe recommends 4-5 carrots, but I'm worried about turning yellow. Please advise me on a suitable dosage.

Dear MRM
The RDA for vitamin A is 5000 IU a day or 1000 retinol equivalents. 100g of carrots contains 1972 retinol equivalents or nearly 2X the daily RDA. Weigh those carrots and do not use more than 50g before liquidising and only use this every second day as other foods also contain vit A and beta-carotene.