Question
Posted by: Neeta | 2004/01/29

How much is too much?

Hi! I have recently joined the BKS Iyengar school of yoga and I must say it has been great fun. There are 4 classes for the week and they run for 1.5 hours. The instructor states that 3 sessions a week are more then enough. As a beginnner how many sessions per week is recommended? I enjoy the classes, as it really gives me an energy boost and also makes my body feel much lighter.

Thanx for the yoga forum...it makes for interesting reading!!

Love n lite
Neeta

Expert ImageYoga

Hi Neeta, well done on starting a regular yoga practice and reaping the many rewards. I would concur that anything less than 2/3 times a week is probably not going to do much physically - although recent research indicates that even a single yoga class reduces cortisol levels significantly (mental benefit)! Different styles and teachers will have different approaches – in Ashtanga for example they suggest that for your first 3 months you would practice everyday (other than full or new moon) – initially it wouldn’t be an hour and a half as you learn a sequence - before settling into a 6 times a week hour and a half pattern. For many people this amount of time is not possible but I think it indicates the extreme. I practice most days a week and miss it when I don’t do a full session might chose to just do some light stretches and seated meditation. Having said this, bear in mind that part of the purpose of yoga is to develop a greater awareness of the physical body with the ultimate arbiter being you. Your body will know what is best for it and will tell you if you listen, so if it feels good to do more maybe start with a short home practice routine which you can carefully and safely use to further develop your strength, flexibility and endurance, not to mention calmness!
Chris