Question
Posted by: minime | 2004/09/20

how much is enough

hi

i weigh abot 80kg and my lenght is 1.55m. i,ve tried everything to lose weight and finally when to get some expert help. i've been diagnosed with insullin intolerence and are now going to follow a lo gi, low fat and high carb diet. i've started walking for 5km at moderate intensity (slightly out of breath and my muscle tends to feel thet they are working but i'm not exhusted after finishing) and it takes me about 20-25min. i am going to do this at least 4 times a week.

is this enough and after how long will i be able to see results.

Hi Minime

This is great, I'm glad that you have got some idea of where you stand and have sought out expert advice. I think that knowing you have this condition and working with it will really help. For the exercise, what you are doing is good for a start. The regular cardiovascular exercise is just what you need, and 25 minutes to start is great. I would not worry about the distance, for now, anyway, rather just focus on the time spent during exercise. The ultimate goal is to get up to 45 minutes or so, maybe 4 or 5 times a week, and so the start you have made is very good. I'm glad to hear that you are feeling out of breath, but not exhausted. That's the optimal intensity - don't go so easy that it feels like nothing, but don't overdo it so that you are out on your feet at the end. I'm sure that with time, and if you stick to the eating plan and the exercise, you can achieve the results you are after