Question
Posted by: Kate | 2004/03/11

HOW MUCH IS ENOUGH?

I did treadmill for 40 minutes and did a kata box marathon yesterday. My polar said I burnt 1450 kcal. I did eat losts of cheese during the day and a good slab of chocolate so is it ok to train this hard when I have eaten like this. What should I burn at the gym? I do mostly strenght training now and cardio like this maybe twice a week but for 1 hour not 2 hours and 40 minutes. How many calories should I eat on the days I do strengh training (which doesnt use much energy) and how much on the days I do cardio? Age 27, weight 52, height 1.68. Thanks

Dear Kate
Seeing that your BMI = 18,4, which is rather low (the normal range is 18-25), I think you need to increase your intake of a variety of foods, but particularly of low-GI carbs to fuel your exercise. You need to use an energy drink before, during and immediately after your cardio training (Energade, Powerade, Lucozade - experiment to see which one agrees best with you) to replenish your glycogen stores. Increase your intake of low-fat and high-carb foods so that you don't lose even more weight. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Try to include a food with a low-GI at each meal and also increase your high-fibre carbs so that you obtain sufficient energy for your daily requirements and don't try and lose more weight otherwise you may become anorexic.

1
Posted by: enza | 2004/03/12

Do you feel very tired after training? If you do, no wonder you are to thin for you height.
The cheese are a good source of calsium, and it feels quite heavy on one's tummy, the chocolate is an instant energyboost, with no lasting effects, you will only feel more tired afterwards. You need good carbs and proteien when you train. There are a lot of good material to help you on this site. Good luck!

Reply to enza