Question
Posted by: jim | 2003/12/10

how much is enough

hi , how much exercise is enough? im fairly lazy and wont be entering any olympic events anytime soon, but want to stay in resonable shape. I currently run 4km, 5 days a week(about 20 min a day). is this enough to keep me fairly healthy? or should i be doing more??
thanks jim

Hi Jim

It's a reasonable amount that you are doing. I can't tell you exactly how much is ideal - but the recommendation from the Scientific bodies that regulate this sort of thing are that you should exercise for an everage of 30 minutes per day. This would be in the form of structured exercise and also just random exercise like walking to the shops etc. So, I would imagine that you are getting this already. It might be something to consider that you could increase the amount by a little, even if it's just once or twice a week. In otherwords, don't get into a rut of 20 minutes a day every day, when you could go for 30 minutes once or twice a week - it just breaks the cycle and gives you that added impulse.

Other than this, it sounds fine.