Question
Posted by: worried | 2004/12/13

how much exercise to lose

Hi Doctor, I am 1.5m tall, and weigh 58kg (I am in my early 20's). I desperately want to lose weight. I would like to lose 10 to 13 kg's to weigh around 45kg (I used to weigh about that). What I would like to know is: How much exercise do I need to do a day to lose this sort of weight? I am eating healthily and drinking plenty of water but I am not losing a thing. Is jogging better than aerobics? I don't have a gym contract, would you advise gym over aerocibs and jogging/walking? Could you recomend any diet pills? PLEASE HELP I'M DESPERATE!!!

Dear Worried
Your present BMI = 25,8, which is just above the normal range (18-25). To achieve an ideal BMI of 22, you would have to weigh 50 kg, so you really don't need to lose as much weight as you suggest. To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, rowing). I would recommend that you try these exercises (for which you don't need a gym contract) as they are known to promote weight loss, while working with weights may firm and trim your body, but not necessarily burn as much energy. I am not in favour of diet pills and potions as they all have negative side-effects, cost a lot of money and don't really deliver the goods.